The Nut Man

November 11, 2008 Athens, Greece

After a wonderful tour of the National Archaeological Museum including a delicious spanokopita in the museum cafe, I decided to wander in the direction of the Plaka. Before long I found myself in a shop selling nuts, dried fruit, and alcoholic beverages…a common theme. "Come in, come in" urged the owner, as he directed me to sit on a little stool. After introductions, Thomas, the owner, proceeded to woo me with melon juice, cashews, golden raisins, and pistachios. I had started eating a banana before entering the shop, and every now and then he would take hold of it to peel it down for me. As customers came in, I would take advantage of their presence to say "Efharisto (thank you), gotta go now", but he would beg me to stay just five more minutes! He would sit for a minute, then jump up to give me some more treats or show me some "treasures" from his store. He offered me some Jack Daniels which I declined in my best emerging Greek "Ochi, parakalo." Then he proudly showed me his bottle of "Old Grand Dad" from Amedica, which I declined as well. He was interested to learn that I would be living in Greece and showed me an old picture of his three daughters in Greek dresses of red and white. He was not at all interested in hearing about my husband and did not mention whether or not he had a wife. He had me sign his autograph book, and requested my phone number. I gave him my email address instead, though I doubt that he uses the internet. Finally, I took advantage of the presence of another customer, bought a bag of incredible pistachio nuts from the island of Aegina and left, saying I would visit again. We’ll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment